There’s a lot of chatter about how social media brings out the narcissist in us all, without any acknowledgement that narcissism is a serious personality disorder/mental health condition that has a great track record of destroying the lives of the person with it and everyone close to them.
But if we want to talk about what personality types or disorders are affected badly by social media, I think histrionic personality disorder is really the one we mean.
Does this list from PsychCentral sound familiar?
- Is uncomfortable in situations in which he or she is not the center of attention
- Interaction with others is often characterized by inappropriately sexually seductive or provocative behavior
- Displays rapidly shifting and shallow expression of emotions
- Consistently uses physical appearance to draw attention to themselves
- Has a style of speech that is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail
- Shows self-dramatization, theatricality, and exaggerated expression of emotion
- Is highly suggestible, i.e., easily influenced by others or circumstances
- Considers relationships to be more intimate than they actually are
If you need to be he centre of attention to feel happy, if you shift what emotions you show in response to the people around you, if you use your sexuality and looks to get the kind of attention that often ends up pushing friends away, if you talk all the time but never say anything real, if you latch onto new people and credos because you don’t have your own internal compass, if you decide that someone is part of your inner circle based on very little; it doesn’t sound like a pleasant way to live.